Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Minnie Mo "U" wheatland...

This one is going to be a challenge... This is a photo of the real tractor that I'm going to recreate.
 This is the first step... again my mechanic Less Grodi has worked his magic and combined 2 pieces of machinery that were never meant to be connected. This is another 3 cylinder Kubota gas engine, mated to a Cub Cadet manual rear end.
 Less fabricated the bell housing from about 8 or 10 pieces of steel...
 Here is my first step. This will be the front axle. I drew the axle up on the computer and made a pattern to cut out of 1/2" steel.

 Then I bent 1/4" x 1" steel to weld to the top and bottom...

I'm making headway on the front axle mount...


 I got the nose from a bone yard in Il. Here are my measurement lines...
 All cut down...
 Tires mounted on her...
 
 
 




She's running in these pictures!!! I wanted to test the drive train before I painted everything.
I got some parts back from suppliers... The top piece, I cut down and then had my body man finish for me. I bent the "grill" to shape then had my machinist cut the louvers in it.




Progress on the hood...
 

 

Fenders...

 Operators platform...
Seat is mounted...
 Starting the paint process...

Putting it back together...


 Final shots...








LTLC 0001 and LTLC 0041... the first and most recent... The owner was very happy with the "U". He was happy to load it up and take her home to Canada.
 
Check back later,
Kurt

Monday, April 4, 2016

Farmall F-20

This one is going to be fun! This tractor is going to the same customer in Iowa that has the Farmall M. He asked me to build an F-20, so I put my thinking cap on... The drive train will consist of a 3 cylinder Kubota gasoline engine, mated to a Power King transmission, and rear-end. All of this mechanical work was done by my friend and mechanic, Less Grodi. He is an absolute wizard when it comes to machinery.

I bought all of the parts and dropped them off at his shop, and 3 weeks later I picked this up...


  Next up was building a frame and start mounting stuff to it...

I couldn't find a gas tank that was the right proportions... so I made a "dummy" tank to go on the outside. This was made out of 20 gauge steel...
 The rear drawbar is done...
Seat mount... not finalized, but I'm getting there...
I now have brakes on this tractor... depress the clutch, and the brakes are applied.

 I got the tires back from the tire shop... I like them.
I wrapped the radiator and installed the air cleaner...
 Seat is done...
 Front steering assembly...
I got the front end welded into place.

 This is a functioning air cleaner...
 Pluming to the carb...
 Thank you so much Todd Tompson, my machinist, for all of the engineering and work you did on this. I couldn't have built this tractor without help from you and Less Grodi.
Almost ready to tear it apart and send it to the sand blaster...

Cleaned up and ready for paint...
 That looks better.

She's starting to look like a tractor again...

I'm getting there...


I actually got to drive it today. That is the first time this machine has ever driven around! It was quite fun! I am so excited to show these machines at Red Power in 2 weeks.
Finally some finished shots...


 
 
 
More later,
Kurt

About the Little Tractors...

       Hello, I thought I'd address a few questions about these custom, hand made, half scale tractors. ...